There is no more tranquil of a place than a white sand beach overlooking a crystal blue body of water. Maybe that’s why I found this dreamy, beach inspired wedding at the Fairmont to be so perfectly serene.
The Outer Banks is a special place for today’s bride and groom. Jillian and Dan both went to college in North Carolina, and the OBX was one of their favorite places to spend time together. What better way to celebrate their love for each other and that area than by bringing the beach alive on their wedding day?! Even though they were married on September 19, the pair opted for a summery, light color palette of serenity (one of this year’s hottest colors), taupe and ivory with metallic gold touches. Between the peaceful hues, the romantic lighting, and the abundance of candlelight, the vibe was calm and cool. But don’t think for one second that this wedding wasn’t full of the most thoughtful and sophisticated details. Here are just a few of my favorites!
- Jillian wore a chic rouched bodice gown and kept the rest simple with a single strand of pearls, loose curls, and fresh makeup. The look matched the relaxed style of the event and was perfect for a day of celebrating.
- Speaking of dresses, wait until you see these bridesmaids! Flowy chiffon in the prettiest shady of light blue X 3. Jillian’s maid of honor stood out with a slight variation of neckline, but as a group, these ladies looked elegantly divine.
- Hepatica hit it out of the park with these flowers. Roses, lilies, ranunculus, and dusty miller come together for some of the most incredible flowers I’ve seen. From the bouquets to the varied arrangements to the not-to-be-missed glass-pressed flowers that served as the base of centerpieces, prepare to be wowed!
- Mirrored vases, mercury glass containers, and even gold chargers introduce a hint of sparkle to fancy things up. Throw in an epic amount of candles and soft amber lighting and you’ve got a room that literally glows with beauty.
- Melissa, of Leeann Marie, Wedding Photographers, sought out all of the cool hot spots of the Fairmont for some epic bridal portraits. My personal favorites were taken on their infamous staircase but between those, a bright blue chair, and some modern art, you’re bound to find a few that make you stop and stare.
So sit back, relax, and let Jillian and Dan’s wedding day sweep you away like a wave. I can already feel the sun on my face and the sand between my toes…
From the bride…
When and how did you two meet?
Dan and I went to the same schools since we were kids. We grew up in the same township and our parents also grew to be good friends. However, while Dan may have liked me from a young age, I was definitely not returning the feelings. After Dan accused me of stealing a pencil in the fifth grade, I vowed to never speak to him again. I think fate had a way of stepping in and bringing us back together (whether I liked it or not) at a Dave Matthews concert in high school. We spent the whole night talking and we didn’t stop for the next year after that. We dated our senior year of high school and then, as most couples do, decided that we wouldn’t try and force a long distance relationship. We applied to colleges separately and without telling the other where we had applied or wanted to go. Again, fate stepped in and we both ended up going to different colleges an hour apart in North Carolina. Our relationship kept working and growing and we stayed together. Eventually, we returned to Pittsburgh after school and we knew that we were going to be together forever.
What inspired your vision of your big day?
We both love the beach/ocean so I wanted to keep these colors in mind. From there, I have always loved candles and wanted as many candles around as possible. I think that candlelight has the ability to make everyone instantly look their best. Our florist and I hit it off immediately and our meeting of the minds was able to produce the most beautiful arrangements of roses, ranunculus, and dusty miller that I have ever dreamed of.
What made your wedding unique?
Even though we got married during the time of year that most people consider fall (September 19), it was still technically summer and we wanted to hold onto that color palette. Dan and I went to college in North Carolina and have always loved going to the Outer Banks together. When I think of our time there, I was inspired by the colors of the beach, including the gold of the sand and the blue of the water. Since spending time there was some of our most blissful moments together, I wanted to re-create the same beachy, summery feel for our guests. To do so, we focused on the colors and lighting of the room by having romantic uplighting and as many candles as possible to create beautiful light and ambiance. Blues, golds, and whites dominated our color palette and I think everyone felt extremely calm and relaxed because of these colors. The detail I loved the most was the pressed flowers our florist put between two sheets of glass that made the base of our centerpiece.
What was your favorite moment of the day?
My favorite part of the day was just dancing with all of our family and friends. Our DJ was amazing and just kept playing the perfect songs that everyone loved!
Bride to Bride
What advice would you give to other Burgh Brides planning their big day?
My hairdresser gave me this great advice…be yourself with the volume turned up. Don’t try to conform to the image of an overdone bride that you see in a wedding magazine if that’s not who you are. If you don’t wear five inch heels regularly, don’t start on your wedding day. Be comfortable in your dress, shoes, etc. and it will reflect in your pictures.
Any must haves, must dos, or can’t live withouts? Anything you would do differently?
I would literally not change a thing.
Bridesmaids’ Dresses: Bella Bridesmaids | Cake, Caterer, & Reception Location: Fairmont Pittsburgh | Ceremony Location: St. Louise de Marillac | DJ & Lighting: Schiemer Entertainment | Flowers: Hepatica | Hair: La Pomponnee | Photographer: Melissa of Leeann Marie, Wedding Photographers
Photographer: Leeann Marie, Wedding Photographers