Long before their plum & gold wedding, Shannon and Aaron met when they were paired as dance partners during a community theatre production. So naturally, the New Hazlett Theater was the most a propo venue for these two to get hitched. This couple went against the grain for their October wedding. Instead of blatantly channeling the fall season with leaves and pumpkins, Shannon and Aaron opted to bring the colors and vibe of autumn alive in subtle ways. A color palette of plum and gold set the dramatic tone. A “table runner” of pillar candles provided a romantic glow. Gold chargers and chiavari chairs gave a pop of metallic to the reception space. Beyond the stunning decor, what else did I love?
- Shannon and her girls got beautified in luxurious silk robes. While the bridesmaids wore the day’s shade of deep purple, the bride stood out in a fun floral print.
- The sparkliest wedding shoes that I ever did see. Shannon’s Kate Spade gold glitter peep toe slingback kicks were adorned with giant bow. So Kate Spade. So sparkly. So in love.
- Textural and rich in color, the florals of this wedding are breathtaking. Ivory, purple, lavender, and even magenta make an appearance in these pretty arrangements from Mt. Lebanon Floral.
- I warned you that unique ceremony sites were coming into fashion. This bride and groom were one step ahead of the game when they planned their vow exchange on the steps of the New Hazlett Theater. The outside beauty of this venue is topped only by that of the inside.
- Oh, New Hazlett…you might be my new favorite reception space! This working theater is a little bit industrial chic and a little bit blank canvas. Adaptable yet distinct, this venue is sooooo cool.
Charming and understated, Shannon and Aaron’s big day was captured beautifully by All Heart Photo & Video. Treat yourself to this killer wedding. You’ll be so glad you did.
From the bride…
When and how did you two meet?
We were paired together as dance partners in a community theatre production of “Titanic the Musical” in Carnegie. From there, we became friends, and a few years later we fell in love.
Juicy details on the proposal, please! Where, when, how?
It wasn’t a huge surprise actually! I’m not big on surprises, so he told me when he bought the ring. “It’ll be here in 4 – 5 weeks,” he said. Well, four weeks later, he asked me if I wanted to go out on a date that weekend, so I knew it was coming! He totally shocked me with the location, though. We went to our favorite restaurant – Bados in Mt. Lebanon. Then, we drove up to the West End Overlook. He got down on one knee just as the sun was setting. It was super romantic.
Describe the wedding. The look, theme, style, colors, etc.
It was a perfect day! Everything went as planned and we were both very relaxed. I truly felt like I enjoyed every moment.
What inspired your vision?
We wanted something vintage, but not country, and romantic, but not ballroom. Since we met doing theatre, the venue was the perfect fit! Since it was October, I also wanted an autumn feel without pumpkins and leaves.
What made your wedding unique?
It was very detail oriented and every detail was chosen to reflect our relationship and personalities.
What was your favorite moment of the day?
It’s so hard to pick just one! As cliche as it sounds, turning the corner and seeing him at the end of the aisle was a feeling I can’t describe.
Bride to Bride
What advice would you give to other Burgh Brides planning their big day?
Make it unique to you and your spouse. We had a very relaxed planning experience, but I know sometimes family and friends pressure you into things that you don’t want. Also, with Pinterest and wedding blogs, it can feel like you have to pick everything that’s trendy. Everything we picked, we chose because it felt so “us” and we couldn’t have been happier.
Any must haves, must dos, or can’t live withouts? Anything you would do differently?
If I had to do it all again, I would rechoose our band over and over. They made the night the best party ever.
The only thing I would have done differently would be to pay for the extra hour in the space! I could have used another hour of dancing.
Band: Corned Beef and Curry | Bride’s Dress: Lazaro from Bridal Beginning | Bride’s Shoes: Kate Spade | Bridesmaids’ Dresses: Bill Levkoff from Bridal Beginning | Bridesmaids’ Robes: Pemberley’s Bride via Etsy | Cake: Fenoglietto’s Wedding Cakes | Caterer: Elegant Accent Catering | Ceremony & Reception Location: New Hazlett Theater | Flowers: Mt. Lebanon Floral | Hair: April Redford | Menswear: Selected Homme from Asos | Photographer: All Heart Photo & Video | Rentals: Event Source | Stationery: Minted | Videography: So Fresh Films