Wow, talk about a celebration! Not only did Abydee and Ryan plan an insanely fun wedding reception, but they also treated their guests to a whole slew of events to celebrate their special weekend in August. All of these events were inspired by one thing – the couple. Abydee and Ryan wanted everything to reflect them, and by pairing with talented vendors who not only understood their vision but also their personalities, that’s exactly what they got. Unique florals and decor, a visionary photographer, more than one live musician, and a museum that perfectly captured the eclectic nature of the day – all of these came together to make Abydee and Ryan’s day perfectly beautiful and perfectly “them”. A few of my favorites?
- An 8-course vegetarian tasting menu served at the rehearsal dinner. What makes this significant is that most of the couple’s family and friends aren’t even vegetarians. Yet, Abydee says everyone was totally blown away by how delicious everything was! I love that the bride and groom infused their personality even into this meal, and that everyone embraced and enjoyed it!
- Is there a better venue for this affair than the Mattress Factory? A bit anything goes itself, this venue was a match made in heaven for this wedding day. Casual, comfortable, organically beautiful, and roomy enough to allow for a flowing reception, the art museum housed this event perfectly.
- Izzy the four-legged friend made for the cutest flower girl! With her floral “collar”, she sat right next to Abydee and Ryan as they exchanged vows and then she hung out at the party all night long. Talk about a well-behaved dog! Izzy, maybe you can come give my dog some pointers.
- Best reception entertainment ever? It’s quite possible. Rick Larrimore and his ROD STEWART TRIBUTE BAND kept the dance floor packed! Even the groom got up and played a few sets with them! Man, what I wouldn’t give to be invited to a wedding with a Rod Stewart tribute band! Talk about fun!!!
- The finishing touch on the celebration was an after-wedding brunch at Tiki Lounge, the place where Abydee and Ryan first met. Not one but two live bands entertained guests as they feasted on yummy food from Double Wide Grill. Now, THIS is a perfect end to a perfect weekend!
This laid back, comfortable weekend was chock full of parties, laughs, and good times. Oh, and two people got married too! Enjoy these beautiful images from Mandy Fierens Photography. They are bound to inspire you to plan your own three-day party!
From the bride…
When and how did you two meet?
Tiki Lounge on my 21st birthday!
Juicy details on the proposal, please! Where, when, how?
At Feelings Cafe during New Orleans Jazz Fest on May 2, 2013
Describe the wedding. The look, theme, style, colors, etc.
Our ceremony was held in the outdoor garden of the Mattress Factory. Our dog, Izzy, was the flower girl. She walked down the aisle and peed in the grass. Pure perfection. Our friend, Zombo, played music during the ceremony – Velvet Underground’s “Here She Comes Now”. I walked down the aisle with my mom and dad to Humble Pie’s “You’re So Good for Me”. Following the ceremony, guests explored the exhibits and enjoyed hors d’oeuvres in the lobby. We tented the upper courtyard for dinner. Desserts were back down in the garden and the band (Rick Larrimore, a Rod Stewart tribute band, that we had seen one 4th of July) played in the lobby. Ryan got up with them and played guitar for a few sets. It was so hilariously us. The next day, Double Wide Grill catered a brunch at Tiki Lounge. Our friend’s band from Kentucky, The Other Brothers, played. A local Rolling Stones tribute band, Mothers Little Helpers, followed. Friends sat in, played, and sang with the band. Such an amazing weekend.
What inspired your vision?
Our strategy was pretty simple. We wanted to celebrate! With the exception of various dinner and holiday parties over the years, our wedding was going to be the first event where all our friends and combined family would be in the same place at the same time. This creates an amazing environment and we were excited to absorb every second. We wanted the whole weekend to be laid back and comfortable. Well, the kind of comfortable that results from being tugged out of your shell and nicely forced to eat mainly vegetarian food and revel in rock n roll for an entire three day weekend. 😉
What made your wedding unique?
Ryan and I had a blast with the creative process. We tried to plan an event that personified our relationship. We learned we are not “Package A or Package B” people, and we therefore learned how much we would come to rely on amazingly talented local businesses and individuals. Selecting the right vendor partners with unique personalities that complemented our own was crucial to the event’s success. From the rehearsal dinner, wedding venue and decor, to the Sunday after-party and music throughout, everything was perfectly us. All that’s left unsatisfied is figuring out a way to do it all again.
What was your favorite moment of the day?
Every single thing; I can’t pick just one favorite. But if I had to pick one moment to relive it would definitely be Friday morning just so we could enjoy the whole weekend again!
Band: Rick Larrimore | Bride’s Dress: Nicole Miller from Glitter & Grit | Bride’s Accessories: Alexis Bittar | Bride’s Shoes: Jimmy Choo | Bridesmaids’ Dresses: Nordstrom | Cake: Mother of the groom! | Caterer: Big Burrito | Ceremony & Reception Location: The Mattress Factory | DJ: DJ Zombo | Flowers & Decor: GreenSinner | Hair & Makeup: Izzazu Salon | Photographer: Mandy Fierens Photography | Post-Wedding Brunch: Tiki Lounge catered by Double Wide Grill | Stationery: Minted | Transportation: Lenzner Coach