If you're going for a garden wedding, no venue makes more sense than Phipps Conservatory. Not only is it downright beautiful, but it was also THE perfect fit for Tara and Marc. These two met and fell in love while they were both engineering students at Pitt. They purposefully chose to celebrate their union at Phipps because of its proximity to where it all began. From there, this bride and groom were inspired by the romantic, naturally good looks of the gardens, both indoor and out. That meant a color palette of lavender, ivory, and gold, lush florals of peonies, hydrangeas, roses, and fresh lavender, centerpieces that included golden birdcages, and soft purple uplighting. Not only did Tara and Marc design a day that reflected the infamous look and feel of Phipps, but they also included some of the best details I've seen in a while. Like what?
- Tara's shoes. These Harriet Wilde kicks were killer. Delicate lace, a dainty ribbon tie, and a flirty peep toe…I'm suffering from a severe case of shoe envy.
- That ceremony location. What better way to pay tribute to where you and your hubby met than to exchange marriage vows overlooking that very location?! An outdoor ceremony in the garden of Phipps combined Tara and Marc's past and future in the most meaningful of ways.
- Speaking of meaningful, Tara's grandfather officiated the ceremony. Cue the waterworks because just the thought of a grandfather performing his granddaughter's marriage ceremony is making me all weepy. So sweet!
- Adorable ceremony programs. Tara and Marc claim they both have “silly personalities” and these were made evident by their quirky ceremony programs. Tiny cartoon drawings and other fun details kept these “I Dos” light-hearted.
- Escort cards/favors fit for a garden wedding. Upon arrival at the reception room, Tara and Marc's guests were invited to “Please be ‘seeded'” and given a packet of seeds to take home and plant. SO, SO perfect for this wedding. Did I mention how perfect these were?
Leeann Marie, Wedding Photographers captured the soft loveliness of this wedding. Whimsical yet classic, Tara and Marc's day is a breath of fresh air. If only every day in Pittsburgh looked like this one!
From the photographer…
How did the couple meet?
Marc and Tara met at the University of Pittsburgh while they were both studying engineering. Marc first noticed Tara his freshmen year, but he played it cool and didn't approach her (wuss!).
The following year, Marc was walking through the halls with his best bud, Jon Dray. Jon waved hi to Tara and Marc almost punched him in the face in excitement. He asked Jon to introduce the two of them. Jon invited Tara out one night and they got to meet, but mostly stuck to their own groups.
Marc was still thinking of Tara despite their brief meeting. Both of them were working research positions at Pitt (nerds!) and had lots of time to chat online. At the end of the summer, Marc called Tara and asked her to go to lunch with him at Jimmy Johns. They shared stories about writing raps about their parents and the rest is history!
Juicy details on the proposal, please! Where, when, how?
Since Marc and Tara met, they have been going on vacation to Disney World in Florida. In July 2014, after a day in the amusement parks with Tara's mom and grandparents, Marc and Tara went down to the lake beach to watch the fireworks. It was beautiful. There were sailboats everywhere and no one else around…or so Tara thought! After she said yes and started hopping up and down, her big brother John and his girlfriend (now fiance!) popped out of the bushes with a camera and started to shoot some photos!
What inspired the vision of the big day?
Since they met at Pitt and spent the first three years of their relationship there, Tara and Marc wanted the wedding to be celebrated close to where the relationship began. They chose Phipps Conservatory, and from there, they were inspired by all things romantic, “gardeny”, and reflective of their relaxed, silly personalities.
Bride's Dress: Watters from Bridal Beginning | Bride's Shoes: Harriet Wilde | Caterer: Phipps Conservatory | Ceremony Location: Phipps Conservatory | DJ: Steve Lebo of Party Time Productions | Florist: Budget Blossoms by Jillian | Linens: Lendable Linens | Menswear: Kenneth Cole | Officiant: Bride's grandfather | Photo Booth: Steve Lebo of Party Time Productions | Photographer: Leeann Marie, Wedding Photographers | Reception Venue: Phipps Conservatory | Transportation: Lenzner Coach Lines | Videographer: ShoFilmsPhotographer: Leeann Marie, Wedding Photographers